Tuesday, September 27, 2016

How teaching is better than working at Disney World!

Recently my husband read an article outlining why people should quit their job to work at Disney World (http://www.disneyfanatic.com/7-reasons-you-should-quit-your-job-and-become-a-character-at-disney-world/). When he finished, I replied, "That sounds a lot like my job!" He snorted, and I went on to explain to him why my job is even better!

7. I get paid to smile. And I do. Often. I try to make my classroom fun and engaging. I want the kids to look forward to coming back and learning something new.

6. I get paid to dress up. Maybe I don't get to wear a costume EVERYDAY, but I choose to often. After reading A Christmas Carol, we have a Dickens Christmas Day in which my students and I don period costumes, drink wassail, and eat mince pie (it is pretty good). When introducing Greek mythology, I channel my inner goddess and pull out my toga. This year I am teaching The Great Gatsby, and we most definitely are having a lawn party in 1920s attire. I also keep a variety of hats in my closet to pull out as needed. Yes, I teach middle school and high school. Yes, they love it as much as elementary students.

5. Every day is different. Anyone who works with children knows this is true! You never know what a kid might say or do. I also try to make my classroom different each day by using a variety of teaching methods.

4. No office to work in. I have a classroom that I can make my own, and it is rather homey. I have
area rugs, lamps, a rocking chair, an oversized chair, reading pillows, etc. This relaxed environment makes me a better teacher, and hopefully it relaxes the students.

3. I work at the happiest place on earth. To the current students, this may not always be true. But their laughter fills the hallways between classes, and they are making memories that will last them a lifetime. One day they will look back and realize how special this time in their life really was.

2. Discounts and free passes. Absolutely! I get to go support my students at all sorts of athletic events and after-school activities. They love having teachers there to support them and cheer them on!

1. The ability to bring joy to guests. I help students gain the skills they need to make their dreams come true, and I have the ability to make it a great experience or a terrible one. I choose to work hard to make it great!

What about you? How is your job like working at Disney World?


Http://www.disneyfanatic.com/author/kristina/. "7 Reasons You Should Quit Your Job and Become A Character at Disney World." DisneyFanaticcom. N.p., 2015. Web. 27 Sept. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment