Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Time's Up in Education

I'm sure most of you are aware of the Time's Up movement started by Hollywood celebrities in response to the growing accusations of sexual harassment and inequality in Hollywood. Does this have a place in the field of education?

I am 41-years-old and a female working in education, and I can say definitively that the boy's club is alive and well. According to a 2011 eSchool News article,

"Seventy-two percent of the education workforce consists of women, yet the number of women in leadership positions falls far short of that statistic. They fare best in the role of elementary school principals, with 54 percent of these jobs being held by women. But at the secondary school level, only 26 percent of principals are women, and in the head job of superintendent, 24 percent are women."

At one school, I actually had my administrator tell me that I would have a hard time getting respect from parents because of my age and gender. Of all the jobs I have had in education, I have had one female administrator, and my children have only had a female principals while in elementary school. When I mention the boy's club to some in power, they seemed surprised. Well, the men seem surprised. Even as I write this, I worry that I will be seen as radical for suggesting inequality.

When discussing this disparity, some say that women are underrepresented because they take time off to have children, so that puts them behind. WHAT? I am punished because I decide to have a FAMILY? Women feel such pressure to get back to work after having a child, which, I believe, increases PPD. I speak from personal experience. I am lucky enough to have four wonderful children. I had such severe PPD with my last one. I went back to work when he was 8-weeks-old. He is now 17-months-old, and I am still struggling.

So, what is to be done? Respect women of all ages. Give them the chance to lead if they show the interest and ability. I am tired of feeling marginalized because of my gender. Time's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment