Monday, June 23, 2014

My first flipped classroom

Students have been out of school for over a month, and most of them have begun their summer reading. Typically students at my school are required to read two books, and the assessment varies by teacher. In the past I have had students keep a journal on one novel and complete a writing prompt the first week of school.

This year I decided to do something different. I utilized a free website,  Eduongo, to flip the summer reading.  Students have a variety of journaling options, including video journaling, and have a discussion board to interact with other students. They have no "due dates" and can read at their leisure.

I love the results!  The insights are awesome,  and I love discussing the novel with them while it is fresh on their mind. It also gives me a chance to know the students and their writing. This means I won't have to spend the first few weeks of school finding out their weakness and strengths. Also, I will not be bombarded with stacks of essays on the first day of school.

This does require more work on my part. I had to set up the website ahead of time, and I am spending time this summer working. The benefits far outweigh the negatives,  and I am excited to start the year ahead of the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment