Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What if I fail? I'm scared!

I have tried to be a leader at my school in terms of using technology in the classroom. Part of that stems from love of technology;  most of it comes from my excitement at seeing students connect and get excited about learning.

In my last blog I mentioned several ideas I have for increasing engagement through technology in my classroom next year. Something suddenly hit yesterday;  what if it doesn't work? I know that failure is a good thing sometimes, but that's for students. I am the teacher; I can't fail.

Why do we do that? So many times we forget that the rules apply to us too! Students don't like a boring presentation,  but that is what we do in meetings. We want students to experiment and think creatively,  but we are scared to try something new.

As I continue putting together my ideas for next year, I have to remember to dream big and try new things. It will not be the end of the world if I fail. The important thing is that I keep moving forward and not let my fears hold me back!


1 comment:

  1. So true! I just explained to my daughter yesterday that we are not experts the first time we try something (she's learning to sew) and I immediately thought but why we do we teachers expect to be experts the first time? It's scary to think we might fail and the time we will waste/lose from this. But this is the only way we can learn. I try to remember this, students don't usually know this is the first time we are trying something and don't even know if it didn't turn out the way you wanted if we don't tell them! Good luck with your new challenages and know you will prevail even if there are bumps along the way.

    ReplyDelete