Saturday, June 14, 2014

Planning for Excitement!

What scares you? I mean what makes you curl up into a fetal position and suck your thumb? For some people, it's change. For me it's unicorns, but that's a story for another day!

All the changes I see in educational technology and professional development have me excited!  In fact, since I began my professional development via Twitter, I have become addicted. Addicted to change and learning? How I wish my students felt this way?

Students CAN feel this way! If we are willing to step out of our comfort zone and accept that our way may not be the best way, we may be able to excite them! That begins with learning new ways to teach and engage students!

Through Twitter and connecting with others, I have begun to make a list of some of the ways I plan to change next year.


  • Twitter for discussion on novels, then Storify
  • Collaboration on papers via Google Docs
  • Portfolios via Google Sites
  • Genius hour for 7th
  • Similar project for 9th, but more on their own
  • Plickers
  • Eduongo for flipped learning on basic grammar and lit themes, genres, etc 
  • Tweet as a character from novel, story then storify
  • Self-made Smart board for grammar
  • Socrative App for reviews
  • Google Classroom = infinite ideas!


I have other ideas too, but this a start. These are things that I always do, but I have found a better way to do them. For example, for several years I have required students to keep a portfolio of their work; this year I will have them use Google Sites to make a virtual portfolio!

What are you waiting for? Begin planning at least one way you will work to increase student engagement next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment