Saturday, July 26, 2014

A New Year = A New Start

As teachers we are lucky. Very few professions get the chance for a completely fresh start each year. The administration has had two (ish) months to forget all about the second day of school when you left a 6th grader locked in the bathroom because you forgot about them and went to an assembly. They don't remember the time a student jumped off the balcony while under your care. They have certainly forgotten the time you left a class unattended for an entire period because you were confused about the schedule change. (All true stories, but they aren't all me.)
Now that the slate is wiped clean, what will you do to capitalize on it? This is the time to step up your game! Personally,  I plan to just bring it all day, every day. No excuses. I'm sure I will stumble from time to time and probably even forget about a class again!
This summer I bought a poster for my room that says, "You don't fail when you lose. You fail when you quit." I'm taking that as my mantra this year. I won't fail because I won't quit. What will you do with your fresh start?

2 comments:

  1. I am moving to a new grade level this year so it really is a fresh start! I'm so excited to bring in lots of new ideas from all of my "Twitter PD" this year and I've decided to just get as wacky as I want. I don't think the kids get enough of that. And I'll try not to forget any of them in the bathroom! Happy New School Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna try to make the year full of fun too! Have a great year!

      Delete