Saturday, July 19, 2014

Reflecting on the upcoming year

I only have a few days until I return to school.  That means an end to the Summer Learning Challenges. I have enjoyed the challenges designed by Todd Nesloney. In fact, I re-worded the challenges and sent them to my coworkers.  This included making my own Google forms and procuring donations for prizes. I hope everyone has learned as much and gotten as excited as I have!

As I prepare for the upcoming school year, I have many new and exciting ideas. Before I begin implementing them, however, I want to take a moment to reflect. The two questions I want to answer are:
1. What are my strengths, and how will I use those strengths to help my students and coworkers?
2. What are my weaknesses and what will I do to overcome these weaknesses?

First, I believe I am strong in my willingness to experiment with new ideas, particularly technology.  This will help me engage students and make their learning more meaningful. I also hope to share with my fellow teachers,  so they can become more comfortable using technology.

Next, my biggest weakness is insecurity.  I am terrified that I am doing a disservice to the children I am entrusted with. This insecurity also makes it difficult to share my ideas with coworkers. To overcome this I will keep working hard to make my lessons the best they can be, and I will continue to step out of my comfort zone to share with others.

I honestly believe this will be the best year I have had teaching! What will you do to make this your best year yet?

2 comments:

  1. I am going to refocus my efforts to providing top-notch curriculum. Last year was a down year for me as I got very tired of seeing the same students in alternative school. I hope to ignore that and focus on what matters - the students and their learning. Sadly, I'm also going to try and find a new position elsewhere for the 2015-2016 school year unless God shows me how we can make it financially staying where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete