Saturday, July 12, 2014

A open letter to my coworkers

Dear Coworkers,

I am an introvert. You may have thought that I am unfriendly,  but I am really quiet and self-conscious. That's why it has taken every ounce of courage to send you the summer challenges and get donations for the prizes. It may not seem that way, but I am sure my blood pressure has risen each week when I send the emails.

Why would I do it, you may wonder. Because I love you, I love our students, and I love our school. Education is rapidly changing, and I want us to be on the cutting edge. Technology has always been an interest of mine, and the merging of it and education has me lighting up like a firecracker! I cannot afford to ignore it. No matter what subject you teach, you cannot ignore it.

This is about more than just teaching kids to use technology. It is about teaching kids to think laterally across all disciplines. No longer are we preparing students for a factory job in which they do the same task all day. Today's workers have to be able to wade through mountains of information and put the right pieces together. Health, science, physical education, math, social studies, and language must be all combined to help kids get the bigger picture. Technology is wonderful tool for doing this.

Some of the best students are those that attempt to figure out the answer to their question before coming to me. Let's model that behavior and learn how to use the technology on our own instead of waiting on someone to make us.

Now you know why I've been bugging you with my emails. I hope my enthusiasm is contagious. I apologize if I have bothered you or seemed pushy and overbearing.

I have never been more excited to begin a school year. Don't get me wrong, I love summer! Nothing is more precious to me than hanging out with my babies! This year, though, could be my best one yet. I hope you are as excited as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment